'Consequences' over lists bungles

At the ANC press conference are, from left, regional spokesman Gift Ngqondi, national spokesman Zizi Kodwa and regional task team coordinator Bheza Ntshona  Picture: Rochelle de Kock
At the ANC press conference are, from left, regional spokesman Gift Ngqondi, national spokesman Zizi Kodwa and regional task team coordinator Bheza Ntshona
Picture: Rochelle de Kock

There have to be consequences for those responsible for the ANC’s election lists bungle in Nelson Mandela Bay – a move that cost it a ward in Uitenhage’s KwaNobuhle, the party says.

ANC national spokesman Zizi Kodwa said while the complaints about list manipulation were drastically reduced compared with the run-up to the 2011 local government elections, there were still some issues the party would have to deal with after August 3.

However, he dashed all hopes that a commission would be set up after the elections to deal with the complaints that some candidates had been imposed on residents.

A commission – headed by Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma – was set up after the 2011 elections and resulted in a Bay ANC councillor, Andile Gqabi, being fired from the party.

Gqabi then contested in the ward 42 by-election in 2014 as an independent and clinched the majority vote.

Speaking at a media briefing to discuss the party’s state of readiness ahead of its Siyanqoba minirally today, Kodwa said some of the national leaders had been in the Bay for some time, trying to quell tensions in the wards.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *